A friend has inherited a classic Joomla 1..x site, that among other activities includes a large trouble with IE site visitors.

The website is viewable here: http://intellepark.co.za

Should you see the site with Opera, the Will get / reactions bounce around the following:


    1. GET /

    2. 302 to /site

    3. GET /site

    4. 301 to /site/

    5. GET /site/

    6. 200 (or 304)

Problems in IE

In IE7, exactly the same sequence happens, but at step six, IE does not load the page properly and shows the "Ie cannot display the web page" error page.

Basically load exactly the same page with IE6 (Stand alone version) I recieve intermittent and malformed reactions in the server. The document does not download correctly but nonetheless shows up to the final byte it received.

Solution?

In the beginning I figured there is a problem using the output, so:

  • I checked the HTML: There is a double slash in most resource Web addresses (e.g. /site//templates/intellepark/js/mootools.js). The doctype is XHTML1, valid, however the charset is Latin.
  • I disabled JavaScript in IE, but that leads to exactly the same behavior.

Now I suspect it is a configuration problem.

The server is running the next:


    Apache 2.2.9

    Joomla 1..12 Stable

    PHP 5.2

An amount be leading to this bad behavior in IE? Could it be the double slash within the Web addresses? So what can I suggest to my pal to possess this issue fixed?

Interesting help - Please tell me should you require any more info!

--nd

edit

Inline paste from the .htacces file

##  Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
Options +FollowSymLinks

#
#  mod_rewrite in use

RewriteEngine On


#  Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
#  is not directly related to physical file paths.
#  Update Your Joomla!/MamboDirectory (just / for root)

# RewriteBase /


########## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
#
########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section

# Block out any script trying to set a mosConfig value through the URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} mosConfig_[a-zA-Z_]{1,21}(=|\%3D) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to base64_encode crap to send via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} base64_encode.*\(.*\) [OR]
# Block out any script that includes a <script> tag in URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (\<|%3C).*script.*(\>|%3E) [NC,OR]
# Block out any script trying to set a PHP GLOBALS variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} GLOBALS(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2}) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to modify a _REQUEST variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} _REQUEST(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2})
# Send all blocked request to homepage with 403 Forbidden error!
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [F,L]

I notice 2 things, but I am unsure if either may be the problem.

1) The website flushes the output early. This really is fine (really good). Other assets can begin installing prior to the index.php is fully loaded. However, for the way this really is set up it may be leading to some trouble for IE (and might be associated with 2 below).

To identify, switch off any early output eliminating, and find out what goes on.

2) The 2nd factor which i notice would be that the calculated checksum differs from the saved checksum, because the submissions are gzip compressed, IE6 might not decompress following a unsuccessful checksum (I'm not sure what IE's default behavior is for the reason that scenario).

Anyway, switch off compression, and find out what goes on.

Hope that can help, and tell us when what goes on whenever you disable all of individuals (individually and both together).