I have created a Chrome extension really helpful for Google Readers fans, let it mark individual products as read (like Gmail).
I'd rather not pay US$5.00 right know, and so i made the decision to upload my Chrome extension to Github, a totally free web repository.
Do you consider that's likely to be any difficulty with this? Anybody can explain me much more about this please? (maybe some Chrome Extension's Developer)
Any help could be really be thankful. Thanks!
EDIT: I submitted here https://github.com/franverona/MarkAsRead-Chrome-Extension
If you wish to increase your extensions' visibility, I'd say it's well worth the $5. But when you do not worry about the number of people download it, and aren't too fussed about feedback and statistics, hosting it on Github is okay, too.
Some benefits and drawbacks:
Hosting your extension around the Chrome Online Store:
- Chrome customers can certainly look for and discover your extension
- Autoupdating is automatic (you don't need to keep an Update XML Manifest file located somewhere)
- Semi-customisable feature page that matches along with almost every other extension around the Store
- Reading user reviews, star rankings and install counts
- Costs $5
- Have to stick to Google's Chrome Online Store guidelines
Hosting your extension elsewhere:
- Does not cost $5
- Make your own feature page how you would like
- Do not have to stick to Google's Chrome Online Store guidelines
- You need to specify and host an Update XML Manifest file make it possible for autoupdating functionality, and a PEM file securely somewhere (not really a large deal but is work)
- Less many Chrome customers will discover your extension and provide feedback (potentially, without having your personal community or advertising already in position)
When hosting elsewhere, you need to feel the packaging process, then host the CRX file somewhere for customers to download, and possess to (optionally) keep an update manifest located somewhere and that current, to ensure that your extension can auto-update itself for customers which have installed it.
But when you are while using Chrome Online Store to host, it's not necessary to be worried about this. You simply produce a normal ZIP file of the extension's files after which upload it towards the Store, and you are done. The Shop takes proper care of the car-upgrading stuff for you personally.