A contractor has generated a Joomla 1.5 extension for all of us, and I am confused by an architectural choice he earned. I am not really a hardcore Joomla user, so I'm not sure if the actual way it was built is common.
After I install the extension, I recieve two separate parts:
- A component portion which has system-wide configurations onto it (for instance, an environment that turns off and on features for that site in general)
- A wordpress plugin portion which has content-related configurations onto it (for instance, configurations that specify which content groups and articles to use the characteristics to)
I am not wild concerning the functionality being split up into two sections such as this: you need to enable both component and also the wordpress plugin to have it to operate, and you should know which section a specific setting is located on when you wish to alter it. I favor the thought of getting my way through only one wordpress plugin.
Questions for individuals smarter and much more experienced than I:
- Could it be normal to have an extension to become made up of both an element along with a wordpress plugin?
- Could it be technically achievable to mix any particular functionality right into a single component or perhaps a single wordpress plugin?
- When the response to #2 is absolutely, could it be generally advisable to mix the functionality?
I really hope this is not too vague. Thank you for readin' it.
- It's not always the situation that you'll require an element along with a wordpress plugin but there a lots of valid reasons to get it done.
- No, you will find most cases where no chance
Components and plug ins in Joomla possess a different range: components within the frontent just react if they're directly known as (e.g. /index.php?option=com_your_component) but plug ins (especially content plugings) work all around the page. You frequently need each of them e.g. for those who have an element for exhibiting pictures: your component can display a whole page with all of art galleries as well as your wordpress plugin allows you to definitely include pictures or slideshows in normal articles.
The reply is it is dependent. It isn't unusual to have an extension to possess a component, module(s), and wordpress plugin(s) or any mixture of the three. It's first vital that you comprehend the difference within the extensions to find out which you will have to use.
Wordpress plugin - this really is code that's triggered by various occasions which happen throughout the execution from the Joomla framework. You will find various kinds occasions, and many different occasions within individuals types. Once the wordpress plugin is triggered, it'll execute no matter what code you've inside it. This is often everything from placing new content, altering the default behavior or Joomla or any other extension, or nearly other things you are able to think about. More information on plug ins and occasions - http://docs.joomla.org/Plugin
Module - a module very is accustomed to display content inside a module position. This content could be produced through the module itself or it may be drawn from the component. Modules are anything else around the page outdoors the primary content area in which the component is displayed.
Components - components are a bit more complex. They're usually used to produce a totally new kind of content and also have most all cases of this content - classified advertisements, inventory entries, items, etc. Components very frequently add more functionality that's associated with the brand new content types like shipping calculation, payment techniques, user content entry etc.
Once you know how all these is supposed to communicate with Joomla, you are able to determine whether your extension requires a component along with a wordpress plugin.