I'm wondering, What are the differences between customers "liking" a webpage and customers "discussing" it. For instance let us say I've got a news website with a lot of articles. Should i've got a "Like" button around the home page along with a "Share" button on every individual article? Or opposite holds true?
Why Facebook suggests while using Like button (beware, sarcasm inside) :
- It provides them a lot of customers.
- It's not hard to implement
Why you should not make use of the Like one anyway :
- Its security is fairly bad (ie : junk e-mail, hijacking, user monitoring -paranoia addict-, etc.)
- Customers might want to like the page (or product, or whatever) although not discussing it on their own page.
- It's not hard to implement the share button, or perhaps a custom one anyway.
So On button allows a person share your quite happy with buddies on Facebook. When the consumer clicks so on button on your website, a tale seems within the user's friends' News Feed having a link back aimed at your website.
More information and tutorial can be found in the link above.
Hope this can help.
an essential differentiator is performance
a share-link doesn't not make any request to facebook (or other site) unless of course clicked on, as the like-widget makes demands to facebook (hence the privacy problem Chouchenos rightfully mentions).
this indeed implies that a webpage using the share-link will load faster compared to same page using the facebook like-widget.