I did previously use SVN 1.4 on OS X Leopard and everything was fine. A few days ago I installed a brand new copy of OS X 10.6. The version of SVN that accompany Snow Leopard is 1.6.5. I went ahead and built my very own copy with 1.6.6. I am while using built-in apache server and merely hosting databases in your area.

Everything made an appearance to operate fine until I really attempted to commit something. Each time I attempt to commit a big change, I recieve the next message:

Transmitting file data .svn: Commit unsuccessful (particulars follow):

svn: MERGE of '/svn/svn2': 409 Conflict (http://localhost)

This occurs with my old databases, and so i produced a few brand new ones. Same deal. I additionally attempted while using 1.6.5 version that accompany the machine...exact same. Finally, I attempted improving towards the latest stable SVN (1.6.9) but still got exactly the same problem.

The Apache error logs the next for every unsuccessful commit:

[Mon Marly 29 19:53:10 2010] [error] [client ::1] Couldn't MERGE resource "/svn/svn2/!svn/act/d399326f-c20f-424f-bb68-3bb40503b5b1" into "/svn/svn2".  [409, #]

[Mon Marly 29 19:53:10 2010] [error] [client ::1] A mistake happened while carrying out the transaction.  [409, #2]

[Mon Marly 29 19:53:10 2010] [error] [client ::1] Can't open directory '/usr/local/svn/svn2/db/transactions/5-6.txn/xebxa9x0fx1f': No such file or directory  [409, #2]

[Mon Marly 29 19:53:11 2010] [error] [client ::1] Couldn't Remove /svn/svn2/!svn/act/d399326f-c20f-424f-bb68-3bb40503b5b1.  [500, #]

[Mon Marly 29 19:53:11 2010] [error] [client ::1] couldn't open transaction.  [500, #2]

[Mon Marly 29 19:53:11 2010] [error] [client ::1] Can't open file '/usr/local/svn/svn2/db/transactions/5-6.txn/props': No such file or directory  [500, #2]

And in the access log:

::1 - - [30/Marly/2010:13:02:20 -0400] "OPTIONS /svn/svn2 HTTP/1.1" 401 401

::1 - user [30/Marly/2010:13:02:20 -0400] "OPTIONS /svn/svn2 HTTP/1.1" 200 188

::1 - user [30/Marly/2010:13:02:20 -0400] "PROPFIND /svn/svn2 HTTP/1.1" 207 647

::1 - user [30/Marly/2010:13:02:20 -0400] "PROPFIND /svn/svn2 HTTP/1.1" 207 647

::1 - user [30/Marly/2010:13:02:20 -0400] "PROPFIND /svn/svn2/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 207 398

::1 - user [30/Marly/2010:13:02:20 -0400] "PROPFIND /svn/svn2/!svn/bln/6 HTTP/1.1" 207 449

::1 - user [30/Marly/2010:13:02:20 -0400] "REPORT /svn/svn2/!svn/vcc/default HTTP/1.1" 200 1172

Strangely enough, the commit does really commit the alterations, however the working copy does not observe that and everything will get screwy.

I have attempted to Google every variation I'm able to think about with this problem, however the search engine results are virtually useless. I am not using TortoiseSVN or anything special and commits fail on the new repository, and so i know it's no problem with my old repos.

Any help could be greatly appreciated.

I have attempted adding autoversioning to my svn.conf file. Some tips about what my files states:

LoadModule dav_svn_module /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so

<Location /svn>

  DAV svn

  SVNParentPath /usr/local/svn

  SVNAutoversioning on

  # how you can authenticate a person

  AuthType Fundamental

  AuthName "Subversion repository"

  AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/svn-auth-file

  # only authenticated customers may access the repository

  Require valid-user


Update (Solution)

I simply desired to update this using the actual solution just in case other people is getting exactly the same trouble with the completely unhelpful error messages. The issue was using the apr and apr-util parts (as scherand recommended). I had been creating a copy of both while using subversion dependencies package. OS X 10.6 also offers it's own version. Both versions were 1.3.8. Apparently though, I desired to make use of the versions the default apache install was using.

So, I erased the annual percentage rate and apr-util folders from my subversion build, to make certain which i wasn't building my very own copy of those again. I built svn from source again, this time around while using following configuration:

./configure --with-apr=/usr/bin/ --with-apr-util=/usr/bin/ --with-ssl

After building again, I restarted apache, and produced a brand new svn repo. I could take a look, make changes, and commit with no issues. Then i attempted my old repos and individuals labored too.

Thanks everybody for that help!