I've lately began a little Joomla project focusing on a website that contains mainly review articles. The articles all consume a much the same structure (subheadings, subtables etc) and ideally I must have the ability to reuse sections in the articles diversely (eg like a full article, or perhaps in a large comparison table). Transpire ended up being to minimalise duplication, making changes straightforward and also the project generally scalable.
I hunted for Joomla 1.7 extensions that will assist me to with this particular, but with little success. You will find plenty of article templaters available, but when i comprehend it when the article is written there you have it - if you wish to change among the subheadings you need to undergo all of the existing articles and alter them by hand also there's not a way of splitting the articles up. I attempted to understand a little concerning the Joomla 1.7 platform classes however i found the documentation very unhelpful (I had been searching here, if anybody knows of good quality assets with this I'd be very interested!). Ultimately I made the decision to choose things i know (a little): Java.
My strategy was the following:
- Split each article up into sections
- In addition have a single article for every section heading
- The particular article that created the finished, user-facing article is simply a number of tags (where 'x' may be the article id), while using excellent include content item plugin, getting together all of the section headers and corresponding articles.
- Many of these were directly submitted towards the 'myprefix_content' table within the MySQL database. I additionally produced a brand new category within the 'myprefix_categories' table to carry all of the article fragments, along with a food selection within the 'myprefix_menu' table. (When uploading articles parents category is specified this really is accustomed to complete the appropriate fields.
This tactic originates agonisingly near to working, but is creating some strange behavior:
- Typically, when first submitted, the drop-lower food selection can look properly. The content will even appear properly inside a category-blog layout of their parent category. However, clicking right through to the article, either in the category-blog or even the food selection, can give a 404.
- This problem has a tendency to like magic resolve itself I've discovered that opening the recently produced menu-item and category objects within the Joomla Administrator and saving them (without coming to a changes) frequently works. It sometimes does not, which is frequently unclear why the page all of a sudden began showing.
- A page is going to be ready to go, simply to revert towards the condition referred to in 1) (many of the frightening/frustrating!)
- Sometimes (although not always) the road to which the content is displayed (or perhaps is tried to be displayed) changes (this might be happening following the actions drawn in 2)).
- While all of the groups and menu products properly identify their parents (and also the front-end, when its working, looks fine), around the back-finish pages that list them they're all jumbled up (ie not arranged in parent-child hierarchies).
- Clearing Joomla's cache appears to possess no effect. I've attempted it using the built-in function along with a special-purpose wordpress plugin, and absolutely nothing changes.
Maybe you will find some fields within the database tables I'm not completing? (I've generally completed all posts except produced/modified/checked-in timestamps and customers, and also the 'lft' and 'rgt' posts within the menu and groups tables because I could not exercise the things they symbolized). Maybe Joomla does some stuff on the top from the database, so by skipping it I'm requesting trouble.
I appreciate that this can be a very specific and bizarre problem, but any help could be greatly appreciated - even when it's mentioning that what I am attempting to do is naturally foolish!